Little Metal Heath post that no one will read, because I was working late and got carried away.
SDMarketing is without a doubt one of the greatest achievements of my life. However, no one ever talks about working 19 hour days, this shit is brutal.
Its great don't get me wrong, it has its perks, but it will age you faster than smoking meth on a sun-bed.
I'm 37, I have the most beautiful partner Jenny that has always embraced my chaos, I have my family, my nieces, my nephew, my two arsehole sisters Jenny & Chloe, two incredible Mums and a fantastic Dad. I don't have my own children though, and if I did in the future I won't make a great goalkeeper or dancing coach let's be honest, the reality is they will lose their farther in their late teens at best!!
So whats the purpose of this tale??
Work, in whatever capacity you do it, flipping burgers, washing cars, lawyer, nurse, doctor, pulling pints, dentist, dream liver or dream assistant, (a great friend of mine Tom once said, "you can live your own dream, or help someone else live theirs"). The founding values of SDM has always been to do both "Help people live THEIR dream" but he most important thing you can ever do is take care of you, look after your mind.
Nobody will be able to look after you the way you can, they can only assist, but you control your destiny, and thats amazing, just make sure you do, the things i've learnt that I think are important to remember, that I doubt anyone will care about are these.
1. If you died (or tried to die) you'll be replaced in under a week, so take that sick day when you feel down, you're worth it. Lets be honest somedays you just feel like shit, and that perfectly okay.
I always say to my team, if you need a day off, take a day off; A mental health day is just as important as a week off with the flu. Its more productive to have team member have a day off and then come back twice as strong the next day, than have team member on half charge all week. So if you need time, take the time!
2. If you love something, I mean really love something, you can make that into a business.
I alway drew pictures, I sat with my cousin Chris for HOURS as a kid at our Grans and drew pictures. So as an adult I became obsessed with websites, design, graphics, I was already heavily involved in Marketing, you know the rest, if not...
3. Everything is hard so make the hard shit worth it, Monday is savage if you're going to a job thats just paying your bills. Make that stress a positive and channel it towards what you want to do, try this, every Saturday take an hour and learn something you want to do, something that gets you closer to you dream, sites like www.qintil.com have thousands of courses that can help you reach the you you want to be, for free.
4. If you ever thought about punching your boss they almost definitely deserves it, I'm not saying do it, but they certainly deserves that big karma slap in the face, and, if experience is anything to go by, karma will deliver in time :) - The old saying is so true, people don't quit bad jobs, they quit bad bosses. They'll get whats coming in time, so you concentrate on you!
5. You're infinitely better than you have allowed yourself to believe.
In the UK especially, we are led to engage in the narrative of our parental phycological projections, School, Uni, Job (YOU HATE), promotion (to a role YOU HATE), partner, engagement, dog/cat, marriage, children, promotion (to a role YOU HATE) via photos of children (no one wants to see) retire, grandkids, death.
Thats the grim reality, so make your life a story you'd want to read!!
The truth is that things are fucking hard, people blast millennials for being soft or a "snowflake generation" but really anyone born post 1986 has dived into a structure of study, work, dinner, bed and struggling. Very few of us own a house, NONE of us that have done it without financial help in some form, so we're all in the same boat..
I guess what I'm saying here, which I could have said in maybe 3 paragraphs, but here we are, is this...
Our lives are like trip to the toilet when you're sat at a bar, you just want it to be simple, most of the time you just want toilet roll to get rid of the shit and soap to walk away fresh until the next shit comes.
You deserve better than what you expect, a marble sink maybe, silk toilet roll, a Dyson hand drier.
You deserve what you think about in the shower, like Tom said, you can live you own dream, or you can help someone else live theirs..
So if your jobs shite and the toilet roll is running out, open your own bar!!!
#stayhumble #metalhealth #wellbeing